Saturday, May 24, 2008

almost there..

In the beginning, the only thought in my brain for doing this was to try my luck and see how far I could go.. The self-doubt and the lack of confidence in me keeps playing mind trick with me.. But the crave of going out to the world and see how beautiful (and ugly) the world is was driving me crazy.. The chat with my sisters leads me from checking out the website to driving up with my best friend all the way to Ampang for the walk-in-interview. Sau Kin waited patiently outside as I went through stage by stage and witness myself other hopefuls being rejected or sent back.. Each stage I prayed with all my heart that God will help me go through and the interviewers will not be too harsh to me.
/
1st stage- 10 of us went in and faced 2 interviewers who were pretty stingy with their smiles..
We were asked to briefly introduce ourselves.. Sounds easy.. But clearly all 10 of us girls were nervous to the max.. I was the 4th to do it..
I stood up, gave the nicest smile I can give, greeted the 2 ladies and my fellow 'competitors', started with, 'My name is Pamela Soo and I am supposedly 23 this year....'
/
We walked out.. I briefly chatted with the hot Malay chick beside me who has the experience in this field and I am totally blown away with all her stories.. One of the lady came out, weakly smiled at us and called out 3 names before calling my name.. I thought I've failed but she said, '4 of you make it to the next round and the rest can go back. Thank you for coming.'
The Malay chick congratulated me and I gave her the warmest hug I could give before she leaves by saying, 'Told you that you can pass, they can't accept me maybe because I'm a malay and I'm quite old..' BTW, she's 28 this year..
/
2nd stage- 4 of us joined another group of girls and were asked to wear the company's uniform and cat-walked.. One by one, we walked from one end to the other before facing the lady who was holding a file while scrambling on the paper. Nervous, I walked as graciously as possible as the skirt was pretty tight making it harder to walk accompanied with the universal accessory- SMILE...
The lady knodded as I walk towards her..Asked some basic questions and told me to change back to my clothes..
/
We waited like 10 minutes outside the room and she called most of our names except for 2.. One of them have a tatoo at the back of her neck and the other has some scars on her arms.. They were sent back...
/
3rd stage- I walked in to the room as ordered and was greeted by a middle-aged big-sized man who is also quite stingy with his smile.. He asked me to sit on the chair which was placed in the middle of the room and was asked to introduce myself. He asked me many question but not as tricky as I expected.. Phew.. The butterflies in my stomach start dissapearing as he laughed at something I said intentionally to clear off the awkward atmosphere.. After 'chatting', he passed me a card and asked me to read the passage on the card aloud.. Then, I was asked to wait outside.. AGAIN..
/
I wait and waited while starting conversation with another girl who happens to be waiting for the result as well.. We were called again alongwith others and now, we proceeded to a hall and were told that we have to go for the final round.. We all smiled with relieve and started congratulating one another for going this far already..
i
4th Stage- After seeing some of the people being sent back home after the 4th stage, I doubt I will go through as most of them looked like they should be qualified for this job.. If they are rejected, then I will have no chance at all.. I went into the room after taking a deep breath and saw 2 middle-aged women sitting at the end of the room signalling me to sit down on the chair that was opposite them. They were friendly but the questions were pretty tricky..
i
My name was called.. My new friends wished me luck as I stood up and walked towards the woman who called my name..
'Pamela, CONGRATULATIONS.. You have passed the 4th round and I'm pleased to tell you that we would like to hire you into our company. So now, please go to the side there and fill up these forms so that we can make the arrangements for you.'
p
I looked back and gave a peace sign to my friends and they cheered.. I was so happy and all speechless.. Mummy called and I told her I got through!!!!! Mummy very happy and ordered me to come back for dinner so that we can celebrate.. haha..
o
Looking back, that happened more than 1 month ago.. Nothing much has changed yet except for me going all the way to KL (near Masjid Jamek) to have my medical check-up and also to renew my passport for the application of the working permit.. Due to my late submission of my passport, I am still waiting for the final confirmation from the company before I can resign and start doing the neccessary.. My friend has gotten her working permit and she's told to go there on July 14th and training will start on the 21st. I hope, I wish, and I pray that I will be placed on the same 'sem' as her so that I will not feel lonely when I go there to start my life anew..
o
Dear friends who bother to read my blog, if all things go accordingly, I will be flying off to Singapore to start my working life with SIA.. Yes.. Its Singapore International Airlines I'm talking about.. Obviously I'm not going to be a pilot.. but, believe it or not.. I might be a trained Air Hostess in less than 6 months time.. Hahaha.. I know some of you feel that SIA is making a mistake for accepting me.. like having the cacat weighing machine which under-weighed my fats or measuring my height wrongly and so on.. But I GOT IT!! YES!! I GOT IT!! So, whatever you say now will not affect me!!! *blek*
o
p/s: It's been a tough decision for me to decide whether I should just give up or go for it.. I really thank god for my family members and all my friends- especially Sau kin who waited patiently for me when I was jumping stage to stage and the 1st to flood me with all the advices and stuff.. To those that have been there listening to my fears again and again, all your advices and encouragement, I trully appreciate it.. I think I'm ready to leave my comfort zone and start my life in the kiasu land.. Now, i'm just waiting for SIA to call me to go.. Oh god.. be with me..

No comments: